Saturday, September 7, 2013

First Week in Review

We have survived our first week of homeschooling!  A new friend who homeschools keeps telling me to just give homeschooling a try for a year.  I am just taking it day by day, week by week:)

Overall, I would call the first week a success.  The best part was Bryce seemed to enjoy learning with me and overall I loved our time together learning new things.  We never had the tantrums and the refusals that we had last summer when we were working on things.  Maybe it's the change in curriculum or maybe it's the fact that Bryce is more mature.  Whatever it is. . .I'll take it:)

The biggest challenge I have is that we are over scheduled!  Another homeschool mom said that I must be doing something right if I've over committed.  So I guess it's not unusual. 

I was so interested in the classes and trying to make sure Bryce isn't missing anything that we are busy!!  Monday afternoon is Connections Co-op. Tuesday is an insane day - creative writing, Spanish, choir and cub scouts.  Wednesday is pretend drama and geography.  Thursday is a great day  with only violin at 2.  Friday is baseball in the morning. 

This is our schedule without occupational and physical therapy thrown in there yet. 

So, I really need to drop something but don't want to:)  Luckily many of the things are on a monthly basis.  So I'm going to just stick with things for now and see as time goes by if we get into a better routine of if I really need to drop something. 

Curriculum review:
-  I love Right Start Math!!   I love the songs that we sing and the way they teach math.  I think this will be a good fit. 
-  Explore the Code:  Hate it.  Worksheets - blah! It's teaching phonics which Bryce knows well so I didn't worry about it this week.  I may try to figure out an alternative.  I would love something more Montessori like or hands on.
- Sonlight:  Overall, I like how the schedule is laid out and all I have to do is follow it.  The stories are short and Bryce loves the poems!  But I think we chose wrong with core.  Core A is an overview of cultures and the world.  I find the material superficial and I think Bryce got a lot of this in Montessori.  I'd like to go more in-depth with topics which means I think we're ready for Core B.  I'll talk to Sonlight on Monday about our options. 
- Language Arts:  The reading and spelling words are going well.  It's pretty easy for Bryce but I think a good place to start.  There is some short copywork that Bryce doesn't love but it's short enough he can handle.  I have nothing to compare this to so I'm going to trust Sonlight and Laura's opinion that it's good. 
- Handwriting:  We started capital letters this week.  I may switch to cursive.  I haven't figured this out yet.  Bryce hates handwriting!  So, I need to do this earlier in the morning and keep it short.
- Sonlight's Science:  Bryce likes the science!  Short and interesting lessons!

That's our first week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment